In 2004, Hobbs Straus attorneys assisted a tribe in reducing a federal fine against a tribal casino from $12.5 million to $2.5 million.
Tribal Environmental Programs, Laws & Regulations
- Provide counsel on tribal environmental programs to protecting and preserving the natural environment and to maintain sovereign governmental authority over tribal lands.
- Assist tribes in developing tribal environmental, natural resources and cultural and historic preservation laws and regulations.
- Assist tribes to develop regulatory programs within the framework of federal laws that authorize the Environmental Protection Agency to treat tribes in the same manner as states.
- Provide counsel to tribes to develop laws to establish environmental review processes under tribal law.
- Assist tribal officials and staff to write the statutory text to implement tribal values in a manner consistent with federal law and the federal-tribal government-to-government relationship.
- Work with tribal government agencies to carry out rulemaking to implement tribal environmental laws, including the development of administrative law enforcement mechanisms.
- Conduct workshops on environmental and cultural preservation issues for tribal government officials and staff, and for the tribal membership.
- Draft and negotiate various kinds of environmental agreements and compacts with both federal and state government agencies.
- Draft and update tribal environmental, natural resources and cultural and historic preservation codes and develop, administer and enforce tribal environmental protection programs.