Hobbs Straus participated in negotiations of one of the first compacts and funding agreements under Title IV of the ISDEAA with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
Tort Claims Defense & Insurance Coverage
- Provide counsel to tribes in understanding unique tribal insurance concerns.
- Assist tribes on how to obtain insurance coverage that is appropriate to their liability at a reasonable and fair premium rate.
- Advise tribes on policy coverage issues to protect tribal government operations and to preserve sovereign authority and self-governance.
- Negotiate insurance policies that address the unique risks and legal circumstances of tribal governments.
- Provide advice and guidance on the applicability of the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).
- Represent tribes in federal court litigation resulting in the tender of claims from a tribe to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) under the FTCA.
- Provide policy advocacy with the U.S. DOJ regarding the scope of coverage issues.
- Develop and draft tribal tort claim ordinances.
- Draft and review tribal government scope of work descriptions to assure activities are included in Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (ISDEAA) agreements.
- Draft tribal job descriptions and contracts for employee/personal services contractors to assure compliance with ISDEAA and FTCA.