One of the first tribal contracts to provide all BIA services to its members was negotiated by the Miccosukee Tribe with assistance from founding partner, Bobo Dean.
Self-Determination and Self-Governance Agreements
- Advise and represent clients at negotiations with the Indian Health Service (IHS) and Department of the Interior (DOI) agencies including the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for contracts, compacts and funding agreements under the provisions of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (ISDEAA).
- Draft contracts, compacts and funding agreements.
- Represent clients before federal, state and administrative boards in litigation when government agencies do not comply with the provisions of the ISDEAA.
- Develop and lobby for amendments to strengthen tribal rights under the ISDEAA.
- Participate in the promulgation of rules that govern the self-determination and self-governance programs.