In 2004, Hobbs Straus attorneys assisted a tribe in reducing a federal fine against a tribal casino from $12.5 million to $2.5 million.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Assessments
- Provide counsel to tribes on complying with federal, state and tribal regulations and tax laws for the distribution of gaming revenues for employees, independent contractors and vendors for:
- Withholding the proper amounts
- Properly depositing withholdings
- Properly reporting gaming winnings
- Providing and filing proper information returns
- Advise and assist clients on responding to IRS inquiries and examinations regarding failure to comply with tax laws.
- Work with the IRS to reduce and/or appeal any assessment of penalties.