Hobbs Straus attorneys successfully obtained the first Interior Board of Contract Appeals ruling entitling a tribal school to 100% of administrative cost grant funding in Alamo Navajo School Board and Miccosukee Corporation v. BIA, IBCA 3463-3466, IBCA 3560-3562 (Dec. 4, 1997).
- Provide counsel to tribes on obtaining federal recognition by Congress and the Secretary of the Interior through the Federal Acknowledgment Process and the Alaska Indian Reorganization Act.
- Advise tribes on the collection and presentation of documentation in support of its petition for federal recognition.
- Guide professional experts in documenting the continuity of a tribal community’s existence and political authority.
- Advise tribes on the mechanisms for acquiring financial support for the acknowledgment process.
- Negotiate financing agreements.
- Provide legal counsel for the federal recognition process including:
- Land claims
- Political support in Congress and states