Our attorneys assisted an intertribal effort in California to secure state legislation repudiating the use of the “existing Indian family doctrine,” a doctrine used to avoid application of the Indian Child Welfare Act.
Federal Legislation & Rulemaking
- Advise tribal gaming commissions on the administration of regulatory functions consistent with the requirements of federal, tribal and state laws and regulations.
- Advocate before Congress, the National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC) and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) in support of tribal rights and against proposals to limit those rights.
- Advise and represent clients on conflicts that arise under tribal-state gaming compacts.
- Monitor, analyze and report on federal and state proposed legislation and regulations that could impact tribal gaming rights.
- Draft comments on proposed laws and regulations when a challenge is necessary to promote and defend tribal gaming.